The latest buzz-worthy topic in the e-Learning industry is the use of micro-learning courses or “byte-sized” learning as it is commonly referred to as. Simply defined, micro-learning is the provision and delivery of short and concise nuggets of learning that are often about three to five minutes long. It typically focuses on one specific outcome in a single topic. The use of micro-learning is usually done through multi-media formats and incorporates a learner-driven learning and development method. Basically, it is converting those long modules into a brief course that is easily digestible.
Micro-learning in the e-Learning industry is getting a lot of buzz because of its numerous advantages to individuals and businesses alike. Here is a list of some of the key benefits of micro-learning courses:
- Addresses the issue of learners with small attention spans
- Incorporates targeted learning that makes it easier for learners to achieve more
- Fuses e-Learning through the capability of mobile learning. On top of that, it helps organizations implement mobile courses using unique interactivities.
- Micro-learning is a very budget friendly form of course learning
- Provides instantaneous results
- Micro-learning is available in a variety of formats like interactive videos that are an informal type of training.
- Learners benefit from the fact that it is always available when you need it. More so, information is always up to date due to constant updating.
- For course designers, micro-learning content is easily tagged making the information easily available when searched for.
- Allows for better retention of concepts.
- Provides a better transfer of knowledge learnt on the job.
Micro-learning, is constantly rolling out courses that help organizations meet their rising job demands and promote employee development through training. Through shorter courses, micro-learning is boosting e-learning in training.
10 Advantages of Microlearning that will Boost e-Learning Industry. (2016, September 6). Retrieved from Medium: https://medium.com/@cabot_solutions/10-advantages-of-microlearning-that-will-boost-e-learning-industry-456670f04497
Lee, L. (2017, May 19). The 6 big benefits of microlearning. Retrieved from LEO: https://leolearning.com/2017/05/benefits-of-microlearning/
Micro-learning and its advantages for amazing e-Learning!(n.d.). Retrieved from TalenLMS: https://www.talentlms.com/elearning/microlearning